The wintery wind whispered in my ear - giving an aura, leaving behind a moment between us, to be captured forever. With a nervous breath, I smiled at you and you on me with the tears of happiness, we met each other. Holding each other's hands, Eyes stuck quietly staring at each other. A butterfly tickled in my stomach as you poured a soft kiss over my forehead. All I could hear was the soft voice, beside me Asking to be his forever.
Frozen melodies this year of my life, shall open Every day of february, they become serenades Billows of fog shall move out from the rooms Reveries flow like a river and come to me, true Unfettered butterflies of success are glorified Afflatus to be a poet arrive with its metaphors Realms of existence shall now turn to my poetries Yet, february shall welcome effigies of goodness.
You know there are more clichés in the world than there are good things to hold onto. I am sure that ghosts of past mistakes/regrets still haunt you from time to time and you give up easily on the things which are going on. I know how you see yourself as someone who can be take easily, who can be persuaded with nothingness and you note them down in that brown journal you bought at the old antique shop and have waited a year or two to write into. I have always wanted to let you know that you shouldn't be sorry about being yourself. That everything that goes around you isn't your fault and you can't control every aspect of your life. Sometimes you have to let go of things and don't worry about them. Cause someday things will work out it is always a battle with yourself to hang in there. But guess what everyone's having their own life and they will be having different perspectives that doesn't mean you can't have your own.
I want you to stick to yourself, be careful about your thoughts and love yourself a little bit more than others. And I belive this is the same thing you want. I am sorry for all the mistakes which made you suffer but that is the essence of life. Mistakes blended with saudade.
I am writing to you today to dole out some important life lessons that I’ve accumulated over the years. I know you are restless and more often than not, do not listen to anyone’s advice. This causes you to learn by falling on your face and hence learning the hard way. I trust however that coming from me you will pay heed to what I have to say and let it help you get out of sticky and uncomfortable situations more easily. Here goes-
1. Learn to trust your instinct - what you feel inside your gut the first time something happens is usually right. Trust that feeling.
2. There is no substitute for hard work- you may or may not be the most intelligent person in the room, but you can certainly become the most hardworking . And hard work always pays off .
3. Don’t let anything get you down- you need to learn from mistakes and move on again. If you let things get you down, you’ll never move ahead in life.
4. Perseverance- you need to keep at a task if you hope to achieve the impossible. If you let go of it the minute you sense failure, you’ll never succeed.
5. Failure is a stepping stone, not a dark hole- every time you fall down, get up, dust yourself , learn what needs to be learnt and move ahead.
6. Depression is not the end of it all - you can be depressed and yet work towards your betterment. Being depressed is not the end of life. Talk about your depression and get the help that is needed to solve it. Therapy helps.
7. Never lose faith - or sight of what you want. Yes there will troubled times and times when nothing will go your way . It is then that you need to be steadfast and hold on to your faith (in god, in others, in yourself and life).
8. Never assume - anything about another person’s thoughts or intentions or their abilities.
9. Do the right thing- even if it kills you, even if you are angry , even if the one you are trying to help hurts you. Doing the right thing make you not have any regrets later.
10. Always tell the truth- except when the truth will hurt someone. Value honesty and tell the truth , always . The lesser lies you tell, the lesser you will need to keep track of what you’d said earlier. That is simply exhausting and not worth it.
11. Never hurt people- by your actions or words. Be aware of what you are saying and doing to and for other people.
12. Never expect goodness to be rewarded- you need to do the right thing and not expect to be rewarded for the same . Doing good never hurt anybody.
13. Do not confuse sarcasm with wit- no the most sarcastic person is not the smartest one in the room, they are simply small minded and mean. Good things do not happen to mean people.
14. Be sensitive to others feelings- there’s more to life than just your troubles and your difficulties . Some people are fighting greater battles than you. Respect them and that fact.
15. Don’t judge a book by its cover or the condition of the same- stop being prejudiced and conceited and stop turning your nose down on people who do not look/ seem to be up to your standard.
16. Be kind and generous. Kindness is the greatest gift you can give to another person. Forgive yourself for your follies and bad decisions. What is in the past cannot be changed and the only thing you can do is to move forward.
17. Don’t let anger destroy you - raging over things is not the right way to deal with what’s wrong. Instead of seething, learn to take control of your rage and gradually simmer it down. Anger makes you do and say things you will regret later.
18. Don’t hold grudges- if you hold on to negativity, it will attract even more negativity. And nothing good ever came out of being negative. Holding a grudge will not affect others but will cause you great mental harm. Forget and forgive even if just to save yourself grief and pain.
19. Do not give into peer pressure- do not feel pressurised to do as your companions/ friends/ peers are doing. Do what you feel is right for you not succumb to what others think you should be doing to fit in.
20. It is okay to be different- you were made different and it is not imperative that you fit in . Be proud of yourself and who you are. It is okay to be different from others. Great things have been created by people who simply thought out of the box and were labelled odd. Be yourself, at all times.
The greatest advice that I can give you- Learn to say no and cut ties with negative people. If you say yes to everything you didn’t want to agree to, you will left with a feeling of great dissatisfaction because then you would have done things against your will. Cut ties with anyone who is negative. Negative people are poisonous and drag everyone down to their level of negativity.
Here’s to hoping that you will spend lesser time rethinking and reevaluating every move you make. Overthinking will not change the world ! Find your bubble of happiness and learn to thrive not just survive. I hope my life lessons help you in leading a happier and more productive life.